Monday 23 November 2009

A Faithful Rock In Christ Almighty

As part of the curriculum here at Capernwray every student must go on a 10-day Outreach, in small groups, to churches primarily in England. One group of students has the opportunity of going on a 14-day Outreach to Kenya, Africa during that same time.

I have had a desire to go to Africa for several years now and upon arriving to Capernwray the first evening I actually ate dinner with the Outreach coordinator, Carolyn, without initially realizing it. She mentioned the Africa opportunity that night and said we would all be receiving information later in October about it. Well I attended that information meeting and learned a bit more about the missions trip and left there seriously thinking about the opportunity. I prayed about it for a couple of days and then picked up an application because they could only take 10 students. I filled out the application and turned it in knowing that if Africa was where God wanted me then I would be chosen.

Just recently, during announcements, 10 students were called into the backroom of the conference hall and my name happened to be one of the 10. We all fit snugly into that small room and as the door closed I counted the other faces in the room and immediately felt my heart begin to race as the word ‘Africa’ almost fell out of my mouth. I immediately felt like I do before exams; my hands become clammy, my face gets hot, and my stomach feels empty. What seemed like an eternity passed and then Charity, the RA, announced we were all chosen to go to Africa!!!! Now I know most of you could have guessed that well before I said it but being in the moment and not knowing whom all applied I was in shock. All I could say is, ‘Thank you Lord.’

The last few days have been realization days. What was once a dream that seemed so far fetched, if I was honest with myself, was now a reality only months away! I will keep you updated as I learn more about the trip but I have confirmed my place on the team.

Is this for real?

1 comment:

  1. Hi bud. You are an amazing individual who has a heart that is truly open to God and what he is calling you to do. I have to tell you I had a similar epiphany when I heard my calling to help the orphans in Russia and when I read your post it took me right back. You don't have to ask if it is for real because He has already told you it is. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete