Saturday 21 November 2009

God has a real sense of humor

I was speaking to Kinsley, a friend of mine here, this past Sunday evening about my greatest fear. I don't fear dying or if I will get married as I have come to terms with both of these common 'fears' and feel a great sense of comfort with them. On the other hand, I must say I have not come to terms or felt as great sense of comfort when it comes to public speaking. This is my greatest fear. Even now, as I talk about speaking in public, I find my stomach beginning to turn. It's the same feeling I get when I am being thrown about on a roller coaster and my stomach goes into meltdown.

I have learned that whenever my name is called during afternoon announcements that God has a challenging opportunity for me in the very near future. I was asked by the dean of students on Monday to preach Sunday, November 29th during the morning service at a local church. My first reaction was ‘there is NO way!’ Did God not hear me the night before talk about how terrified I am to speak in public? He did hear me and that is why I was asked to preach.

But then I think about the fact that I have qualifications. I sweat when I am in a small group and everyone has their heads bowed and I am praying out loud. What never-before-seen physical reaction is my body going to endure when I am standing behind a pulpit looking out at 50 wide-eyed and bushy tailed people staring right back at me? Let me die now is my physical reaction.

As I sit here typing, I have no idea what topic I am going to speak on. Maybe it will be on how even the most unqualified people are used for God’s glory. Nevertheless, this whole experience is not for my glory but for God’s. He has given me an amazing opportunity and I must act upon it faithfully.

Make sure the next time you express your greatest fear, you are prepared to face it.

No comments:

Post a Comment