Thursday 26 November 2009

It’s different, but a blessing

HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone!

The holidays are when I feel the most home sick here. Today has been different. It’s different to wake up 5 feet off the ground admiring your blanket on the ground, it’s different hearing the first ‘Happy Thanksgiving’ come from your good German friend, it’s different to see boys go out and celebrate the strike of midnight on this holiday by mud sliding on the futbol pitch, it’s different to see hail, it’s different to be rehearsing for a dance lesson you will be hosting for international students come Saturday, it’s different to go to class, it’s different to search every room of a castle, and even more different to never smell the amazing aroma this day brings, it’s different not being able to hug your mother, it’s different not having a television much less an interest in watching the Cowboys with your dad. It’s different to be on the other side of the pond this time with your brother and not friends, it’s different receiving a care package from your sister on this day when all you wanted was her to be inside. It’s all different and yet I still feel at home.

The kitchen staff did an amazing job tonight making our thanksgiving feast as much a feast as they could. The tables were ordained with fall leaf confetti, tea candles, flowers, and festive napkins wrapped as turkeys. We enjoyed turkey, gravy, dinner rolls, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole…and for some reason rice. Don’t ask.

I want to thank each and every one of you for your friendship, support, prayers, and love. While I am not physically home to show my love I do wish you all a joyous day. Don’t forget to count your blessings. Start with your family if you struggle to begin.

I’m so thankful for my mother, my father, and my sister Manny!

No comments:

Post a Comment