Wednesday 11 November 2009

Guy Fawkes Day

Remember, remember the Fifth of November,

The Gunpowder Treason and Plot,

I know of no reason

Why the Gunpowder Treason

Should ever be forgot.


For anyone not from England, this past Thursday, Nov 5 was Guy Fawkes Day. This day is not a national holiday in the sense that no working individual gets a day off, but none-the-less the Brits celebrate it as such. The celebration is quite ironic as Guy Fawkes was one of a group of Roman Catholic restorationists from England who planned to displace Protestant rule by blowing up the Houses of Parliament while King James I and the nobility were inside. Guy Fawkes and his conspirators saw this as a necessary reaction to the systematic discrimination against English Catholics. The Gunpowder Plot’s execution failed due to Parliament receiving an anonymous warning letter in the early hours of Nov 5th, 1605 thereby catching Guy Fawkes in the act.

In celebration of this evening, the International CafĂ© outreach I am apart of went to the Lancaster Castle to watch the fireworks. It was a typical English night, which simply means it was raining. There wasn’t a light drizzle but rather a torrential downpour. But unlike Colorado, the rain had no effect on the Brits determination to make the fireworks show continue. I felt like such a foreigner as three Americans fought to stay dry under an umbrella made for one.

I must admit that the show was really good. I have never been that close to fireworks before and, as is British tradition, you must accompany the show with music, I found the whole experience much better than the celebration of the 4th of July. I can’t believe I just said that but I think my fondness of this country is becoming greater and greater each day. Of course my patronage is still with the USA so hold your drawers.

No comments:

Post a Comment